Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Playing Politics

So yesterday was election day in Canada. A federal election where you elect you MP for you riding, and the party with the most MP's elected thru~out Canada, their leader becomes the Prime Minister. Now in general I am not a political person, I avoid it, try not to think about it cause it truly annoys me...I just go on about my day, paying taxes as I go, waiting for the ball to drop..aka the envelope in the mail stating something about calculations and adjustments and you owe us. I pay it and life goes on. At any given time in the day 24-7 I know that I can take my children to a doctor and get medical attention without worrying about the cost, Canada is truly a beautiful peaceful place to live, and I am proud to be Canadian.

then there is the but...

but yesterday I played with politics, participating in discussions, explaining (or trying to) our Cdn system to some American Friends. I even looked into a few things in detail!! this is so not me~!

BUT I did discover a few things and come to realize a few more things ... annoying things why I do not play politics!

facts about our election...
note: i will refer to our current re~elected Prime Minister as...Dork

59% of the total voting population actually voted...the lowest turnout ever this is sad because I wonder why? can u imagine the difference those votes could make? As the Green Party leader said, many people who do not have a drivers licence also lack the ID required to vote. How many people are left out, including the blind who do not have photo ID (in general)
**I voted green, I live in a very Liberal Riding so I gave my buck and a half to the Green Party...ya they get paid just over a buck for each vote for funding future elections

this was the fourth federal election in eight years. Normally if they can all get along in politics you should not have to go to the polls so often. Unfortunately the dork is a control freak who doesn't play well with others, and the minority governments fall

each election costs $300million dollars (insert mike myers doing the math~!)

how freaking ridiculous is this?! we are spending this much money on these idiots not getting along at their jobs? The dork spent our money on passing some bill about calling elections, and then broke the law to call this election...how much money will be spent in coming days on that? determining if he broke the law? Is it me? or was calling an election right at the end of the American campaigning (debates!) were going on? At a time when the world is focused on the American Elections....does this not take away from our own?
Typical because thru out the whole process I rarely heard anyone say anything productive.

I was happy to see a bit more of a mix up in the numbers last night, seeing NDP gain a little ground, I think I like them, but still have a gut feeling I don't? The greens I have to say have impressed me the most, while I would honestly have my doubts about Elisabeth running the country I thought she handled herself the BEST thru out the elections...just wish the over million votes they scored last night would actually get them a member in the house.
first one thru the gate I think one guy called our election process... more research I will avoid I think.

Different strokes for Different folks I suppose. What one SAHM saw as a 'paycheck' for staying home, I saw as a payoff and a slap in the face from the dork, taking away established subsidies for those needing daycare...a reality today when two incomes and daycare may be needed to survive. In my eyes $100/mth and paying taxes on that money at the end of the year isn't worth the cheques and stamps to send them...reality says $100 doesn't go far, and I am worth alot more than that paycheck! And of course the carbon tax, what I see as a necessary evil, not knowing ALL the ins and outs, but seeing as the idea of it something we will all have to face sooner than later...others see as yet another rip off, yet another way for the government to take our money, ignoring the costs to our environment and results of energy splurgers
.
BUT over all the best part of the evening? my favorite Report of Politics, The Mercer Report. He is the best~! And if I had one wish it would be that the first day back everyone in the house have to watch Rick Mercer...and his rant~!
Get along officials...we put you there, you get paid to do a job...let see if you can fucking do it like grown ups~!

we shall see I suppose....any guesses? voting again come spring? or does that give the Liberals enough time to ditch Dion?! maybe we will get lucky and Harper will get the boot too

I had tried to get a link for him...but check this guy out...he's great
rickmercer.com

2 comments:

cannylass, aka Andrea_44 said...

Annette I so agree with you on many levels! $300million...for what? A few more seats...good God!
Yes I think he deliberately chose a date that co-incided with being close to the Presidential Election in the states! He was hoping that most people would be distracted by that...and apparently he was right!!!! I mean even I have been more interested in what's going on in our neighbour's country and I consider myself informed and a bit of a political junkie! The low voter turnout is a disgrace. We have one of the lowest turnouts of any major country! Does that mean most people are satisfied with the 'Dork'..or is just because they saw no viable alternative? It's so frustrating! Stephane Dion means well, and I suppose he is a very nice man, but he's not leader material. I yearn for someone like Pierre Trudeau! Hopefully now that his son, Justin, has won a seat in the Commons, we can hope for better times to come for the Liberals.
In the meantime, yes I voted NDP! Our local man, (Joe Comartin) is good, and this will be his third term as our MP. I don't know why people are afraid to vote NDP...they have adapted with the times...something the Liberals have to do, and get a new leader!

(Sorry this is so long, didn't intend it to be! lol)

Andrea

Anonymous said...

i concur with you both.
*sigh*

in the mean time, lets put up pics of Justin Trudeau and stare at them dreamily until he has enough under his belt to be in power.