So many differences in life...lifestyles and the generations of time. There is a world of difference between the loony I am now and the loony I was before...years before I was Mama. I would like to think I have the same ideals, perhaps less selfish, and have gained wisdom from my experiences along the way.
Lately I have seen a world of difference. Like the difference between teens now, and teens then...my loony then. And I confess just saying that makes me feel old! My young buck of a cuz and his friend stopped by for a few daze of holidaze around the shoeless acres and while things are the same they are also so different. I declared by whatever means necessary my kids will not grow to be clueless like these kids! And would even brag...I think my kids R already smarter! Never in my teen life would I leave home without the essentials(fishing pole sleeping bags rolled coins and mr.noodles), a plan($$$ for trip, map and a direction I was heading), a backup(couch surfing a few extra daze) and when all else failed two feet, a heartbeat and my thumb would get me where I needed to go. Now I realize the art of hitchhiking comes with new threats and worries in this day and age (OLD!) BUT I live in the north, its practically considered a form of transportation! When I was younger I was rarely only working one job at a time, and would basically do ANY job to make some money. (not to mention paying rent @ 17) Not lollygagging my way for a few extra daze 'on my way' to a job up the road, only to complain that 'some guy' got to the job first! Seems to me, many teens of today are more like DIVA's then young adults about to burst into the world. I razzed my sweet teen cousin all week about waking up to reality, his diva ways , laughed when he boasted searching the hometown for rentals cuz he is ready to be out on his own, but hopefully also pointed out a few things, a few thoughts to take home...it ain't that easy in the real world ! Aspen can make homemade bbq sauce, dumplings, her own lunch? These sweet teens wanted to know if you mixed 2 or 3 tablespoons of butter with their salmon for sandwiches!!! YUCK & WOW what a difference~!
Our first summer visit with the beach boy is coming to an end in a few more sleeps. I am sure we will all be sad to see him go, but the calendar is filled with marks, counts, and smiley faces on just how many more sleeps til he returns. My proud loony mama moment happened at dinner the other night as the beach boy proclaimed.... "ya know I don't think I will bother bringing the XBOX with me next time! I have barely played it at all here so why even bother" Nothing makes me smile more than hearing my boy say he doesn't need the video games!!! secretly my own success on winning the boy over to the world of imagination, play and exploring REAL life ..woot woot!
A watery world of difference has occurred in the yard with that notso free pool of ours too! In less than a week I have seen my wee Fric go from watching as Freak and Frac jumped off the side of the pool, canonballing simultaneously together to holding his big brothers hand, jumping with a smile as he disappears beneath the water. GOGGLES!!! With Ryki's birthday this week came a fresh set of goggles and snorkles for the kiddies. Fric is flying thru the water now, swimming like a fish, like a frog, summersaults...four in a row .... my boy swims!!! No more life jackets (knock on wood) no more whines just a boy in his pool having fun!!! yes its been a proud Mama week~!
Now if only.... he didn't start at 8am, the difference now? last week it was "i am hungry" this week is "can I go swimming" While my lifeguard duties provide me with the perfect excuse to avoid the housecleaning.... I need some new wool... happy hatting time sitting by the pool!


1 comment:
oh, loony....
i want to move to the shoeless acres!
i've said it before and i'll say it again- i love how you love life!
xo
Post a Comment