Thursday, January 28, 2010

Keeping MY Wagon on Track

A new day today... when I awoke feeling great... thinking of the post yesterday... a rant yes... a rave ..yes a result of my nicotine deprived thoughts getting it all out. But today was a good day...the day to start off without that morning puff...without the jolt of shit to my system ... it...YES today would be the day. Go figure that ugly ogre of reality reared its face full of shit ... and yes... I broke a wheel on my wagon... rushing to the outdoors to inhale that moment of peace ... that moment to be calm and to be ready to face that ugly ogre once again. I have fixed the wheel on my wagon, and now more determined and hopefully ready for the next round of... I need a fix?!!!!

This whole quitting the nicotine thing isn't THAT bad..but it does pose some moments in my day... when I am ready to snap... ready to scream... ready to crawl into my bed in cry. I can only hope it gets better in the coming days!!!

I am finding myself not craving more food...but craving my hands to be busy! Whether it be typing away on the keyboard, or hooking my way thru a new Loony Creation, if my hands are busy, so is my mind, and my cravings seem to be creeping their way away.

So lets see...some tips and tricks from my Loony day...

I am one of those peeps that are what you may call ... anti chemical. You will not find various cleaning products under my sink, you will not smell the odor of bleach in my home, and my toilets...the water is clear..not blue. It might even drive My Love a little bonkers the fact I will not buy these things, the fact that it is but once a year paper towel is added to the shopping list. A special occasion like Christmas I will purchase ONE pack ... cause I refuse to buy it otherwise. There is something about all that paper towel being used to soak up a simple spill, thrown away for what? zilch??!!!... an old towel..that bag of rags...soaks it all up just the same, easily washed in a load and ready to reuse for the next spill. And after ten years with this Loon My Love has learned to adjust. The once a year trip for paper towel is done strategically buying the biggest (and cheapest...best sale on of course) pack of towels he can score. Carefully stashing a couple rolls in his shop... he is a glass man after all so I suppose ...it must come in handy.

The bleach... a no no.. .he has learned the bitch'n he must face is just not worth bringing it home. But when there are so many other options... he has also learned...its not necessary. We can have a clean home with out the stench...the chemicals, and the Loon going Loony. I am a firm believer in the good old fashion bottle of vinegar...disinfecting its way thru my cleaning day. Years ago... the vinegar with the added action cleaning power of baking soda my dream cleaning team. I have since changed my ways a little...finding the soda leaves a rezidooo dooo... leaving my dishwater slimy, and my fingernails sore...polishing the powder away. Now my favorite thing beside the sink...the things that makes my cheapskate ways happy ? My shaker full of salt... my shot glass full of milk tags, and my little crocheted wash cloth. The handmade cloth that goes months without the stench... without the collecting of CRAP between its threads. I first learned the trick with salt years ago working in the bars... burn that coffee to the pot you say? can't get your hand in the hole? Well have I got the fix for you... grab some ice cubes... add some salt ...shake it around and voila...no more burn coffee and a pot that gleams!

(Loony note...I have no idea how I doubled this pic above...please accept my Loony apologies... as I am still mastering this whole...blog'n load'n wtf? and why and how is it there?!!!!)

And milk tags you may ask? what good will they do? Well years ago during one of our many moves around the land, a fridge was stored at my parents, and for years I got the ribbing of a lifetime.....WHAT IS WITH THE TAGS? why are the racks of the fridge filled with those little plastic tags? What kinda of a Loon are you??? I would happily reply that they could be reused...and one day...when I figured out just what they could be reused for...everyone would have to bow down to my Loony Wisdom. It was my mom who taught me the trick... who pointed out that those hard little plastic thingys, in the hands of a dishwasher was a pots best friend. No more stinky scraper pads @ the kitchen sink, no more chemically filled wonderbars to remove those tough (rarely ...never burnt!!!) scraps stuck on the side of the pan... no more scratches to my good frying pan...I count on to make dumplings... use a bread tag!!! works great...and if it gets gunky...throw the sucker out..ya know you are gonna get more from that next loaf of bread, or another bag of milk...and best of all ...they are FREE!!!! and NOTE to those dishwashing machine fans... use the milk tag BEFORE the pans go in... over the garbage can and watch as those scrambled eggs and soup rings, or muffin tins peel away into the pail and not floating all over your glassware in the machine!!!

Finally ... along with the burnt coffee in the bottom of the pot...which I can say never happens here...cause the coffee pot is like paper towels...only on the counter during special occasions... SALT comes in handy too around this tea love'n family of four. Your favorite tea cup... full of stains, and rings of brown? Some salt, a couple drops of water and good old fashion elbow grease...and voila...fresh and clean and tea stain free!!! and best of all...bleach free!!!








So I am off to my hook'n ways now... busily going thru my stash of yarn, thankfully a full box of strings cause honestly it gets me through the cravings. Anxiously waiting to hear the news from friends that their Loony Creations have arrived!!! My first ever official SALE of a Loony Creation.

A lesson learned in my plans ahead... Sweaters take a while... custom sounds great and Happy Hats... much better to 'stock' Mastering the art of 'not knowing how to' read a pattern, and the art of "Loony adjustments' to make something knitted...crocheted and looking forward to my next challenge... diaper covers? for a dear friend, part of my family ...Lisa ...expecting a new addition to her family. Newly added to my list... and lessons learned along the way...Loony Arm Warmers.... fantastic ways to warm my arms in the shack, keeping the layers down, but leaving my arms toasty warm without the bulk of a big'ol sweater.


So to end the day with a giggle.... when explaining to her gorgeous five year old son Oxtlan that he would soon have a brother or sister to play with, and asking 'what do you think buddy, would you like a boy or a girl' Oxtlan replied...
" A twin Mama"

"You want TWO BABIES Honey"...Mama asked?

"No Mama I want a twin just like me with brown eyes and brown hair and someone I can play with everyday!!!"

ahhh...to be five years old and not a care in the world...just wishes for a twin...Good luck birthing that one Lisa ... xoxoxo

3 comments:

Sparroweye said...

Vinegar and baking soda. It gets the calcium crud out of my bird dripper/sprayer. Baking soda and salt, I have to swish with a zillion times a day because I have no spit. With no spit your teeth rot. Baking soda and salt are the closest thing. Recommended by the radiologist. I have the economy size. You would have loved my mother in law. She kept one paper towel strip, kept it by counter, dried it out, reused it. She only bought Bounty because she could wash them. She kept every butter bowl or microwave dish. She threw all her scraps in the garden to make organic mulch. And she crocheted. She is the one who taught me.

Anonymous said...

Salt....who knew. Thanks for the tip.

When I quit drinking it was difficult at first, but now, I can't say as I would want a drink now. Lovin's life without and saving that money. You can do it, mine was keeping my hands busy too...

-M

cannylass, aka Andrea_44 said...

The vinegar and baking soda I knew about...also adding lemon juice to the mix or if out of vingegar, but salt I didn't know about so thanks Loony! Also love the bread tags tip as I hate those bristly pad things, but of course we never have burnt pans ('cough, splutter'..lol) in this house, but just in case we ever do, I will start keeping the plastic tag thingys! My mother-in-law is a keeper of all things weird and wonderful, but sometimes she forgets why she's keeping them! lol I do know she's got rubber bands stored on doorknobs..."you never know when you might need one", and clearing up the backyard this past Fall (what was her backyard, now mine) I found things tied up with all kinds of saved items..makes the place more colourful! :)

Keep on the wagon, you're doing great!
Andrea