Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Spring Is In the Air

It's hard to believe that just over a week ago we were out on the frozen lake fishing! That our yard was still filled with snow... Spring has Sprung in the north, despite the still chilly temps, our snow has gone, the lake is melting and the winter toys have been stored for the year.

Around here the signs of spring are popping up everywhere. Peeking through the winter muck, and the mess in the gardens there are signs of green, signs of new life popping thru ready to grow and bloom into summer. Exciting for me as I find them... knowing where they will soon become!



Replacing the snow and dirt, and mulch with blooms a plenty, colors a many and flowers for my table!







The kids have been busy in the yard, cleaning up their wrecking yard, Aspen cleaning her kitchen and preparing daily treats. I was served my first serving of MUDFUDGE last week, with an added bonus of hot MUDCHOCOLATE sauce to top it off.

"how does it taste Mama?" she asked with a smile.

I replied with the look, the look of "RU serious" to which she replied...

"you don't have to really eat it MOM, just fake taste it and tell me what you think!"

Yes there are signs of spring everywhere, from the bikes that park outside my door, to the baskets tied in the tree's. Little spots around the acres that make way for play, for the imagination to run wild, and for the free range kids to explore.












March Break came to an end, a fantastic week full of giggles and smiles, with the Beach Boy finding his groove, his comfort zone ... and his need for speed! Trying out and mastering the summer toys, the quad, the dirtbug, the things on wheels that make you go zoom!










Now I know we are spoiled, spoiled to live in such a space, full of life, nature and beauty, but I am also grateful, that my kids not only can...but DO run, play, imagine and explore. I think kids these days miss out on that fun, miss out on the learning that comes from ..just playing. With so many sports, and dance and clubs to be treked to, so many activities organized and planned, there is little time left for just that... just the time to play and pretend. Don't get me wrong.. I am not ANTI~CLUB sorta thing, but do wonder... if life is planned and always scheduled for kids these days, always with something to do... where does that leave our kids? Are they learning to occupy their time alone? Are they able to plan for themselves? or do they grow with the expectations that it will be done, planned and taught for them? I admit I do hold small grudges, grudges against the man who only gives credit to those with a receipt. To those who trek their kids to activities, to be taught by others, to spend time learning from the teachers, coaches and experts. There is no credit given to fams like us, to our receipts for minnows, worms, seeds and dirt. For the time we actually spend teaching our own kids, spending time together as a family, instead of standing on the sidelines holding our Timmy Ho's cup ... pointing to the head on the team that is ours. YES~ another favorite memory as a Loony child growing up was exploring the backyard at my Aunt Joan's, myself, my sister, my cousin Debbie, building small bridges and forts in the 'swamp' carefully staying dry so we could return, pretending and playing....I believe every kid needs moments like this! It is fantastic to see our own kids now, playing, getting dirty and doing just the same... having FUN!

So its onto the spring clean up, patiently waiting to clean up the gardens, leaving the muck and the mess to protect my tiny plants. Time to clean up the coup, cause while I was planning a Head Chopping sorta party... my farminals have decided with spring and warm weather... the eggs shall return. And while its still not at a rate (more than one a day!) I would prefer...I will be patient, tuck those invites away, and wait and see.












And of course its not all sugar and spice...there are those facts of life that come with the snow
melting , with the things that lay hidden, frozen beneath the snow, the leftovers of winter, and the damn dogs and those things that they find... bring home, and deposit for Mama at the door. I thought the dead rodents around the yard were bad...nothing prepared me for Daisy's gift... her special find... dragged from down the road, over the pipeline...the gift that keeps on giving, and like the cats... always comes back?! The pets are enjoying spring with the cats enjoying the sunshine on the sidewalk, the dogs excited to know that though the skidoo runs are over...the quad runs have returned, tracking us thru the bush at breakneck speeds, keeping those watchful eyes open for a rabbit, or a scent of something good. Smokey... our wee kitty remains a wee kitty? What she seems to lack in kitty size, she makes up for with kitty FAT! Guessing of course her tail situation is the cause of her size, she is a happy feline, learning the art of stalking chipmunks and squirrels, following and harrassing our other 'Mamakat' and hanging with her BFF Ryki.



And now the wait begins, waiting for the Northern air to stay warm, for the fear of a snowstorm to leave, and for the green to be greener, the flowers to pop, and the gardens to give us those tasty snacks.

Cheers! to the sun shining on us all! and a big WOOT WOOT for Spring!

2 comments:

cannylass, aka Andrea_44 said...

I can't tell you how much I love this post, and how much I agree with you on the way your kids are being raised as opposed to the city kids of today! Well done!
I feel really sorry for our nephew who at only seven years old rarely gets to be 'just a kid' and use his imagination. Yes he's an only child and that can be hard or lonely at times, but so was I....an only child...but I was left to my own devices a lot of the time and I became an avid reader, learned to play with dolls and imagination..when I wasn't outside playing with my friends in all kinds of weather!
Too much organised 'play dates' (with driving the kids across town rather than have them play with kids in their own street!) and sports things go on these days in my opinion. So Bravo to you and Dennis for helping to create a wonderful enviroment for your kids. What great memories they are going to have.
Oh and yes, bring on Spring! :)

Andrea xoxo

katherine said...

Wow. I absolutely loved reading this post. I am *incredibly* envious of your life and the life you're teaching to your children.

I was just talking to Jesse about how I want this summer to be more out of doors for the kids, less electronics-because they need to learn to amuse themselves on their own, with their imagination. You've simply and eloquently articulated what I couldn't say. I'm making Jesse read this entry!

I hope your kids know what a great and unique mama they have.