Thursday, November 6, 2008

Definitions of A Loon

you know after reading my post yesterday I thought perhaps for anyone who hasn't figured me out yet I might define some of my thoughts. I would explain that this loon usually has blunt straight forward ways of saying things. I would explain I was not trying to be smug when I call myself a spoiled brat, but sometimes in a loony way that is how I feel.

I am spoiled to be living here in Canada, even more living here on My Shoeless Acres with my children and with my love. Surrounded by the beauty of nature, and the smiles of my children. Spoiled that we are in a safe place like Canada where I do not have to worry about my kids getting sick or a bomb going off.

But when I say spoiled, it is because I know there are sooo many people out their who cannot have what I have. Who have to fight for their rights to love, to be a family, to be recognized as anything but normal.

My life now has not come without it ups and downs...it did not suddenly appear before me..and I would like to think (without sounding spoiled) that it is a road in my life I have travelled to.

I have always been Loony, not always been Mama. I have always been the girl who did what she wanted but was taught that was not without hard work, and without understanding. I grew up in small town Ontario where there was not diversity, there was farmland, and family...small town attitudes with small town smiles. I moved on as a teen with big city lights sparkling in my eyes to a whole new world. I busted my ass to pay my own way, to see and do what I wanted when I wanted...because I could...I am a spoiled Canadian Girl. But thru my travels and my hard bust'n ass work I learned more about tolerance..I may have even taught others about tolerance. Go figure a girl from the small town ended up spending a decade working for people who were 'not' from the small town. People from all over the world, with all types of traditions, views and attitudes. Where I learned about the Chinese culture, the Hindu beliefs and the Italian ways of family life, I even became part of these families of different cultures, seeing my Hindu family go thru the 'dishonor' of love outside the religious (Color) realm, the pain of seperation, the joy of their family reconnecting despite their differences.

and despite all the differences, and the attitudes that came with each culture, including attitudes towards 'their own' it was always easy to find a smile, some love and understanding. its only when we can accept these differences, and celebrate the sharing of our smiles that we can come to understand and tolerate eachother. Perhaps I am spoiled...perhaps naive, but always holding on to hope for change

When I posted yesterday about people and their smiles that was not just a smile I was promoting, but acceptance and tolerance thru your smile. I think its time for us all to stand up and say...I agree...I disagree...I want my voice and my smile heard. This is something this spoiled brat needs to step up to, this is something we all need to step up to. I am still hoping for change in our world where we are all accepted, as a Mama I am still hoping for change for our children who need help, for families to be allowed to be families, to be recognized for what they are....love in action.

Haven't quite figured out yet what this spoiled Canadian Girl can do yet to take action...but when I do I will let you know!

No comments: