ok, so while I understand my thoughts may not be shared by the rest of the world, and that the fact remains I am a country girl from Canada that has always had the rights and freedoms extended further to me than others in the world today...I just have to say.......Thank goodness the Americans have voted in Barrack Obama...and Thank goodness this whole election crap is finally over.
BUT ..its over! how long will it last that I will have to hear about it now? how long before reality hits all the cheerleaders about change, how long before people realize that the new President is stepping into a job that is next to impossible to satisfy a nation as a whole, stepping into a position that is laddered with problems...money, worldwide, within its own nation?
My hope is that it will not be long, that the hope of change will remain but that reality will set in. My hope is that people get past the fact the new President is black, and that it is some sort of miracle. Please do not get me wrong, I feel those people who have grown up in the world facing set backs due to the color of their skin, those who have been begrudged for where they came from, and who thought they would never see the day. I know that I am from a privileged life in the countryside with a mom and dad and food on the table, while we were far from rich...we were... as I tell my children rich with love, and smiles. But I also know that today people are begrudged and punished in society for more than their skin color, they are judged for their lifestyle, their income, their situations which are out of their own control and reality.
My thoughts...its almost 2009...the new world did not begin today, we are still in the same world as we were yesterday. The new world does not begin with Obama, it begins with each person that walks out their door in the morning and chooses to share a smile or a helping hand to those they see or walk by regardless of their differences. While there are many people of color in tears of joy today, celebrating the fact Obama was elected, there are still millions more who are not black...but still a 'minority' To me the majority of minority are those who are wondering how they will pay their bills this winter, wondering where their dinner comes from tomorrow, and wondering if they will ever have a right to stand up in front of their families to say 'i do' with the rights that come with that celebration, or the right to be recogonized as a family without the stamp of a court paper.
I am not celebrating the first elected 'black' President of the USA today, I am celebrating the change of politics, the hope of the future, the promise of tomorrow. I am also however holding my breath on the realities of those promises...politics at the end of the day are still politics.
I dream...that colors are only art in our day, that people are the focus, that our children have a stronger, safer and greener future. That people will take their heads out of their asses and look around the neighbourhood they live in....because that is reality that is the world you live in and that is what we need to take care of .... You voted for change...are you willing to help?!
I would like to think I am~! Spreading the power of the smile, sharing the warmth of my home, and the beauty of the world around me.
Stand up my friends, share a smile today not because Obama was elected but because those around you are ready for a change...lets help make that change~!
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Love this post!
Amen to you!
Post a Comment