Uncle Fred and Uncle Bob came for a visit this weekend. An effort to help out on the job with my love...really a road trip outta town and a visit with the fam. Uncle Bob was able to bring a care package for his daughter who lives about ten minutes from here, working on a quail farm...bonus for us~! Six tiny quails arrived for me to roast. I have never cooked quail before so once I got past the fear of how long to cook the little things, stuffed them with a little dressing and made a little juice...voila...damn tasty dinner!
recipe for stuffing...two slices bread~ 2 eggs~ garlic onion diced~1/2 pack onion soup mix & 1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning ( gift from a friend in Maryland) note to self..next time try more Old Bay for extra zip
recipe for basting juice apple juice~garlic~other 1/2 soup mix~another 1/2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning....loony measurements..started with one cup(or less) of apple juice, added another cup (or less) of juice half way thru one hour cooking time @ 325degrees...basting every twenty minutes
My uncles, two of my favorite men in the world, kind, NOT old, friendly OLD rednecks men that literally melt when they see Aspen and Ryki come running for hugs. You know how big their hearts are when they sit around the table with the kids for an hour carefully crafting paper snoflakes and sharing the tricks of their trades. A new family favorite, games of hangman....I laugh when it takes five rounds with Ryki for Uncle Bob to figure out he only spells two words..."ryki' and "to" A weekend spent splurging on good food...Thursday night roast venison and pork, Friday the Quail, Saturday Uncle Fred was in the mood for some Kentucky Duck, and I think today we will finally finish off the weekend crockpot full of stew for lunch.
Loony recipe for the best fucking stew ever...
when cooking a roast of ANYTHING, save the leftover juices, gravy, veggies, scraps in a ziplock bag and freeze. When having company for the weekend and you find half a dozen frozen bags of leftovers (ie/ venison, beef barley soup, chicken, juices etc) DEFROST, chuck in crock pot, add any kind of extras, potatoes carrots more onions garlic etc etc (loony secret...add a tablespoon(capful) of red wine vinegar) and voila...the best fucking stew ever!
Loony things that Happen around the acres....
Repercussions of the VIEW...something I do daily as I wash the dishes, watching the talk show in the kitchen on the trusty black and white.
Saturday night we had a visit from Uncle Bob's daughter, and her friend Nathan. Nathan is a young chap who is from BC transplanted to Ontario, now here in the north working on the quail farm. He also has what might be thought of as a soft voice. This morning, doing my dishes the children approached me, with that "hmmm?" look in their eyes.
Aspen "Mama, Amy's friend nathan has a strange voice"
Ryki "he sounds like a girl"
Aspen...looking shy and not in my eye when she asked in a soft voice "did he have a transplant" ???
Ryki .. "ya know" (insert giggle) "was he really born a girl"
I am guessing the pregnant man on the TV the other day helped in their curiosity, but I couldn't help but giggle, AFTER I explained that everyone is born different, but I was pretty sure Nathan was born all BOY. Ryki went on to dance his way into the livingroom saying I can talk like a girl too...this is where I need a recording device on the blog...cause the giggles continued.
Mofo the husky seems to have given up on my girl...THANK FREAK"N GOODNESS, and my girl is finally done her "time"
Freak'n out on the farminal end of life...I have twenty chickens that I am told be the Uncles I have to keep til December, and found out last week my trusty butcher who was married just this summer....has been kicked off the property by his "new" now in the process "x" wife...and the plant is closed!!! who's gonna butcher my damn birds now?? who is gonna butcher the 2000+ birds that the local coop sold in september?! a catasophee of the worse kind for happy chicken farmers...I am safe...I have an Uncle Fred!!!
So I am off for a round of Monopoly with my little Ryki, the men are off scouting a piece of property they have found, 160 acres of land, bush and creek for less than fifty grand!! no hydro, just an old logging road running thru, but a hot damn location for something along the lines of a camp, the price is right, and if the tracks(deer/moose) look good....a good investment for the fam!!! woo hoo I am excited..keeping my fingers crossed! Aspen is off playing with "S" , a girlfriend up the road. Its been a while since the two were together, so I have given her some leeeee~way. "s" is an annoying little girl who I am afraid...I donot like her.... influence, her attitude or her manipulating ways.....oh did i say she is eight??? hoping this two days of playing will keep Jane satisfied for a while.....not to mention Ryki cannot find his little goonie friends anywhere....
I am BORED
There is NOTHING TO DO
What am I supposed to do....
are you done on the computer yet mom???? I have the game all set up!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment